Tuesday, February 21, 2012

DIY RingLight



We always have a bunch of unused boxes stacked around the apartment and since I was inspired by so much DIY stuff circulating online I knew I had to something from scratch. So my DIY moment came at 1:30am, a very conducive time for making things. I was feeling kinda like Alodia G. not sleeping until something gets done except it was not a cosplay costume. Photography is one of my "on and off" hobby, I mostly like doing portraits which mainly displays headshots with makeup. So I am hoping that this might be a good addition to my tools or this might be a fail who knows HA! But it is worth a try considering the success rate and almost no cost investment these DIY stuff promises.




So, I have decided to built a ring light. I built my ring light from cardboard boxes, a car reflector and a bunch of different tapes and of course the light source; a ring-shaped fluorescent w/ ballast. Lesson learned on tapes, use
the 3M brand, they might be pricier than the rest but it would save you the effort and frustration of it not sticking. Also, invest on something that works rather than using something that is mediocre in performance and end up buying the trusted brand in the end.


Below are the sample shots with my humongous homemade ring light! I should say that the lighting really enveloped my daughter's face. I'm really lovin' the eye reflection characteristic this ring light brings to her eyes. 

The light is very even and clear that the little veins on her eyes shows through.


The downfall of this project is it's portability, it really is kinda huge to carry around. This one might just stay at home. I might be adding a few things too, perhaps a cover? to give that solid round light to the eyes. Or maybe this bionic-eye look will grow on me, who knows!  


\';'/

No comments:

Post a Comment